Tuesday, March 2, 2010

All I wanted to do was make French Toast...

This is what my husband saw when he first walked in this evening. Me! Laying on the floor, my finger elevated and trying to get my dang phone to charge (there were also some tears)...needless to say there is quite a story to this ending!


My afternoon consisted of going to a meeting for the upcoming play here in town. As I was walking home from the High School, I thought that it would be great to have some French Toast for dinner tonight! I could even use the bread I made on Sunday in my bread machine. It would be delicious. As soon as I got home, I went to work. After all, Andrew would be home soon after a long day at school and it would be nice to come home to a warm meal. If only that was what he really came home too.

Instead, this is what happened. I was cutting the bread in perfect slices thanks to our "wonderful" Cutco knives. I stop here for a second to explain...I love our Cutco knives, I really do, but there has been many a tragedy because of these dang knives. Here is one to add to the list.

As I was cutting the LAST piece of bread, SLICE, off goes the tip of my ring finger with it. It did not even hurt, but oh man the sight of all of that blood oozing out of my finger is not what I wanted to see. I quickly went to the sink and started running water over it and then I put pressure on it with a paper towel. It took every bit of energy inside of me to NOT faint. I then ran to my bag at the front of the house to get my phone....after emptying out my back five times, I realized my PHONE is NOT in my bag...which means, I left it at the High School. With my finger wrapped up, I tromped back outside and walked back to the school. The paper towel was getting pretty red by this time. When I got to the school, I found the first custodian that I could to open the Choir room for me. Of course I picked the one that didn't have his keys on him. He had to go OUTSIDE to his car to get the keys. Meanwhile I feel like I am about to lose every bit of blood from my body from the tip of my finger.

Finally, he opened the door, and there was my phone. As soon as I started walking back to the house, I called Andrew. DEAD! The phone DIED! There was no way for me to call Andrew. None! I walked home and found my cord from my bag that I had emptied all over the floor....let me remind you I am doing all of this while BLOOD is still pouring out of my finger. Plugged in the cord, plugged in my phone, NOTHING! It does not charge. You have got to be kidding me! I tried again, NOTHING! It had been about twenty minutes by this point...still bleeding. I have no phone, I am in pain, and I am starting to worry my finger is going to bleed to nothing. I kept trying to get my phone to charge...NOTHING!! Frustration sets in.

I then decided to go to the internet and look up about uncontrollable bleeding. Gotta love WebMD. Elevate the sore above your head. Of course! I then laid on the floor, elevated my hand and continued to try to get my phone to charge. That is where Andrew found me. I was laying there for a good 40 minutes before he came home.

Within that time, I had "tweeted" thinking the text would be sent to Andrew's phone. It wasn't. I got up a couple of times to try different outlets for my phone, NOTHING. I thought that maybe I should go to the neighbors for help. I prayed for a miracle.

Finally Andrew came home. Helped me up. Bandaged up my finger and
made the French Toast.

Everything was so much better when he got home!

I had no idea that much blood could come from a FINGER!
Nice huh? That is the piece of skin taken from my finger. We are so gross to post this.Still elevating the finger as I talk on the phone to Morgan!

(The saddest part of all of this...I was thinking about this blog the entire time this whole tragedy was happening)

7 comments:

Steve Walker said...

I hope everything is better, what a rough day for you. We love you,
Steve and Nancy

Amy J said...

You have such a sense of humor about the whole situation...this post made me laugh! (though I am sorry about your finger) I, too, am guilty of planning blog posts in the middle of stuff.

The Schauerhamers said...

Okay.... YOu ... Are. ... Hilarious!! I am glad that you decided to call me in your time of crisis. And that you have a picture of us talking on the phone. I can't believe you posted a picture of your skin.... GROSS!!! hahaha but I love that you did at the same time because that is soooo you! Man I'm glad we're friends!! Get well soon, do you need a card and balloons?

The Schauerhamers said...

Okay.... YOu ... Are. ... Hilarious!! I am glad that you decided to call me in your time of crisis. And that you have a picture of us talking on the phone. I can't believe you posted a picture of your skin.... GROSS!!! hahaha but I love that you did at the same time because that is soooo you! Man I'm glad we're friends!! Get well soon, do you need a card and balloons?

Carson Knaphus said...

LOL! I can't believe all this! I am so bummed that you couldn't just make the french toast! This reminds me of when I worked at the deli and sliced off the end of my pinky while slicing meat: The whole glove filled with blood before I got to the sink. The missing piece actually grew back. I'm so sorry!

Ariana said...

I could see why your mom would have worried a bit after reading this post, but I'm glad that I saw your finger last night and that it's looking much better. Thank goodness for husbands coming to the rescue, right?

Kate said...

Margie you are a trooper! We love yoU!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails