Sunday, January 24, 2010

Let the Quilting begin!
By: Margie Walker

This is a project I have been wanting to do for almost 6 years now! I have kept all of my T-shirts from High School, College and even post college to make into a quilt "someday!" Well that "someday" has become a reality thanks to my friend...MORGAN! She approached me last week and told me she wanted to make a quilt with me! She was surprised when I already had the exact idea for the quilt! She has never made a T-shirt quilt, so this is new to her too. But she is amazing at quilts, so it was easy for her to pick this up!!

I thought it was going to take much longer than what it really took! We started Friday night looking at all of the shirts and figuring out what size to cut them down to. After all of that we figured out what we wanted in each row and all that good stuff. We realized we had the perfect amount of shirts to make two 15 inch shirt row, two 12 inch shirt row, and one 10 inch shirt row with some six inch shirts here and there and the one big 18 inch shirt in the middle. Luckily, they were all able to be 13 inches wide! I did have to leave some shirts out, but for the love why would I want an A&M shirt on my quilt in the first place. I also left out my EFY shirts and plan to do something with those at a later time! That will be fun. Well....we started cutting and ironing the shirts. I ironed and Morgan cut. A few shirts into that process we decided we had done enough for right then and played a game with our husbands and then Andrew and I headed home.
The next day, SATURDAY, it snowed like crazy here in Ashton and Andrew and I were SNOWED in at our house. Luckily, the Schauerhamer's have a nice pick-up truck and they were able to come and get us. I needed to get this quilt DONE! When we got there, Morgan was already cutting shirts. What an amazing friend. She turned it over to me and I finished cutting the rest of the shirts.... If you are wondering what is up with my blue sleeves, I cut the back out of one of the shirts and put the sleeves on and the front of it acted like a cape! I was cool! After all the cutting we started laying out the quilt....
Layout # 1
Now if you know me, you will know I have to make sure everything looks just perfect. I put a lot of thought into my layout! Morgan was very impressed. This process took us almost 45 minutes. I kept changing shirts from one position to the next.
Can you tell the difference between the different layouts???
(start with Layout #1 and find the difference in Layout #2 and then the difference between #2 and #3 and then #3 and #4) Write what you think it is in the comment! I am curious to know! Have fun seeking and finding! In a couple days I will post my REASONING behind each change! Morgan thought they were hilarious!
Layout #2
Layout #3
Layout #4
Finally it was time to pin and sew! We started with one column and sewed all of the shirts together in the column and then went to the next column and then the next. Finally after finishing the FIFTH column we pinned the first and second column together and sewed that and then added one more column...so forth and so on! It went quite fast with both Morgan and I working on it. We did have to take care of kids in between sewings and pinnings. But her girls are just so dang cute, we didn't mind!
Throughout the day Morgan would have to come back and help me on the sewing machine! I am not an expert yet, but I am on my way! At least I am trying to sew!!!Here we are pinning the last and final column!! We usually pinned at the table, but the boys were playing a game, so we decided just to do it on the floor! We got it done!
Here I am sewing the FINAL column together! After this everything will be sewed TOGETHER! It was an exciting time.
The entire quilting process took about 7 hours. Good thing it was cold and snowy outside. What a perfect activity to do on a day like this!

And the finished product!

We are more than half way done! We still have to go shopping to find fabric for a border and the back of the quilt! Wow! Did I just do that? It is fun! I just sit back and think about all of the fun times I had in those shirts. Each one really does mean something to me!
Can you find a shirt that you and I have in common??
If so, tell me about it!!

Thanks Morgan! Can't wait for it to be completely DONE!

13 comments:

Wendy Lutz said...

I soooo want to make one of these!! I have a box of shirts all ready to be made into a quilt. Hopefully this inspires me.

Kara said...

I kinda wish that I had saved my tshirts... Oh well. Your quilt looks great!

And we do have a few tshirts in common, 2 youth conference ones and I think a girls camp shirt too... :)

Anonymous said...

T-shirt quilts are fabulous! An easy way to do the back is to use a tshirt sheet. For my college one, my mom used the Texas flag sheet. Yours looks great!
kate

ps-Yes I am a blog stalker!

Stacey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacey said...

I don't recognize any of those shirts, but I know we have some matching EFY ones!

The NC Hansens said...

I love how it turned out! I have (had) the red girls camp and the texas tech shirt and I had a texas flag shirt very similar to the one at the top. Good memories.

Breanne said...

Good job. I've been wanting to make a t-shirt quilt for awhile, too. I've got all my squares cute, I just need to get it together.

We also have a blog if you want to check it out: breaad.blogspot.com

Steve Walker said...

That is so awesome...you are awesome...would you be my daughter in law?

Wendi said...

So this is like my dream! (To have my own t-shirt quilt!) I love it! Turned out super cute-cant wait to see what you do with your efy shirts...

Elaine said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun making your quilt? How are you going to finish it? I'm really impressed you did it so quickly. I started mine 2 years ago and still have not finished it.

Ariana said...

One of these days I'll get around to doing it for Spencer. Good job!

Lex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lex said...

Hey Margie! Did you put a backing on your shirts? Or did you just sew them without reinforcing them?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails