Andrew got to be doctor Andrew for day as he flushed out my IV at home! Crazy!
As some of you might know I have what is called Diverticulitus. What is that you ask? Good question, here is a good definition....
Diverticulitis is a common digestive disease particularly found in the large intestine. Diverticulitis develops from diverticulosis, which involves the formation of pouches (diverticula) on the outside of the colon. Diverticulitis results if one of these diverticula becomes inflamed.
So basically, my colon does not work too well. I was diagnosed with this about five years ago and the doctors were amazed because I was so young! It usually appears in people older than 50! Somehow it made it's way into my body!
Well, lucky for me...it came back! While Andrew and I were traveling up to Rexburg, I started feeling really sick. We went to an Urgent Care there in Utah and then gave me some antibiotics and sent me on my way. It helped for a bit. About five days later, I was still in pain and I was still getting a fever. It didnt help that I wasn't RESTING. Against everything Andrew told me to do, I kept getting up and tried to help move into our apartment. Well, after a few days of getting the fever, I had had enough! We went to the Urgent Care in Idaho Falls and they diagnosed me with an even severe case of Diverticulitus than I thought I had. They were actually surprised I was not in even more pain than what I was. Apparently, one of the pouches had gotten so infected it put a hole in my colon and was now leaking into my body! Yikes! That does not sound good at all! Luckily my body was doing a REALLY good job at keeping the infection contained in one place. GO WHITE BLOOD CELLS!! They even built a wall around it! I love my body! Well, they of course admitted me to the Hospital across the street. Where they gave me antibiotics and morphine. Gotta love the morphine! On a side note, I do not like getting my blood taken or having an IV in me at all! I tend to faint when these things happen! So imagine what I was like, when it took them 4 tries to find a vein to take blood, 3 tries to find a vein for an IV for the CT Scan, 2 tries to find a vein for IV in the Emergency Room (I wish they would have just kept the CT Scan IV in), 2 tries to take blood from me in the morning, 2 tries for the blood culture, and then 2 tries for the IV they had to put in me at the Short Stay hospital. Needless to say, my arms are not looking very good right now. The good news is, I did not faint once. I didn't even get to the feeling of fainting. My ears start to ring, and I know I am about to go!!! Andrew was great during all of this. It helped that we were able to watch Brian Regan, CSI, and the Olympics during all of these needle pricks! My favorite was the time the nurse was taking my blood for the blood culture during the 4x100 relay for the men when we came from behind and beat FRANCE! The nurse was watching the TV more than my arm, but that was ok! Hello, it was an amazing race and he knew what he was doing!
After all is said and done, I was sent home from the hospital on Tuesday. Good thing too. I was getting really tired of Chicken Broth and Jello! I have to go back in a couple of weeks for surgery. They are going to remove the part of my colon that is infected. ted. I am not sure how much of it they are taking out, but still. It is so weird to me that they can even do this. They cut out the bad part of my colon and then put the rest back together. Insane! Needless to say, I will be living with a SEMI-COLON for the rest of my life and I am okay with that!
We will keep you posted on the date of the surgery and all that jazz. Thank you again for all of your prayers. I will continue to need them. They surgery takes three weeks to recover from! Not fun!
I love you all! And here's to a semi-colon!!!

Hey there everyone! I just wanted to first say how much I am thankful for all of the prayers that were offered in my behalf. Andrew and I have had some trying times so far here in Rexburg all dealing with my Health! I just wanted to take minute and inform everyone what exactly is going on so you can continue to pray for me and know what you are praying for exactly! We have only begun our journey down this road of getting Margie healthy again!
As some of you might know I have what is called Diverticulitus. What is that you ask? Good question, here is a good definition....
Diverticulitis is a common digestive disease particularly found in the large intestine. Diverticulitis develops from diverticulosis, which involves the formation of pouches (diverticula) on the outside of the colon. Diverticulitis results if one of these diverticula becomes inflamed.
So basically, my colon does not work too well. I was diagnosed with this about five years ago and the doctors were amazed because I was so young! It usually appears in people older than 50! Somehow it made it's way into my body!
Well, lucky for me...it came back! While Andrew and I were traveling up to Rexburg, I started feeling really sick. We went to an Urgent Care there in Utah and then gave me some antibiotics and sent me on my way. It helped for a bit. About five days later, I was still in pain and I was still getting a fever. It didnt help that I wasn't RESTING. Against everything Andrew told me to do, I kept getting up and tried to help move into our apartment. Well, after a few days of getting the fever, I had had enough! We went to the Urgent Care in Idaho Falls and they diagnosed me with an even severe case of Diverticulitus than I thought I had. They were actually surprised I was not in even more pain than what I was. Apparently, one of the pouches had gotten so infected it put a hole in my colon and was now leaking into my body! Yikes! That does not sound good at all! Luckily my body was doing a REALLY good job at keeping the infection contained in one place. GO WHITE BLOOD CELLS!! They even built a wall around it! I love my body! Well, they of course admitted me to the Hospital across the street. Where they gave me antibiotics and morphine. Gotta love the morphine! On a side note, I do not like getting my blood taken or having an IV in me at all! I tend to faint when these things happen! So imagine what I was like, when it took them 4 tries to find a vein to take blood, 3 tries to find a vein for an IV for the CT Scan, 2 tries to find a vein for IV in the Emergency Room (I wish they would have just kept the CT Scan IV in), 2 tries to take blood from me in the morning, 2 tries for the blood culture, and then 2 tries for the IV they had to put in me at the Short Stay hospital. Needless to say, my arms are not looking very good right now. The good news is, I did not faint once. I didn't even get to the feeling of fainting. My ears start to ring, and I know I am about to go!!! Andrew was great during all of this. It helped that we were able to watch Brian Regan, CSI, and the Olympics during all of these needle pricks! My favorite was the time the nurse was taking my blood for the blood culture during the 4x100 relay for the men when we came from behind and beat FRANCE! The nurse was watching the TV more than my arm, but that was ok! Hello, it was an amazing race and he knew what he was doing!
After all is said and done, I was sent home from the hospital on Tuesday. Good thing too. I was getting really tired of Chicken Broth and Jello! I have to go back in a couple of weeks for surgery. They are going to remove the part of my colon that is infected. ted. I am not sure how much of it they are taking out, but still. It is so weird to me that they can even do this. They cut out the bad part of my colon and then put the rest back together. Insane! Needless to say, I will be living with a SEMI-COLON for the rest of my life and I am okay with that!
We will keep you posted on the date of the surgery and all that jazz. Thank you again for all of your prayers. I will continue to need them. They surgery takes three weeks to recover from! Not fun!
I love you all! And here's to a semi-colon!!!
3 comments:
Hey fellow bloggers!! What a crazy summer we have both had! Love reading your blog.
Oh my goodness margie! Bless y'all's hearts...I will keep you two in my prayers. I was so sad that I missed your reception in Utah- I was moving that weekend to Connecticut, but I'm excited to keep up to date with your blog. Get better!!!
Hey Margie! I'm sorry to read about all your health problems lately, we'll definately keep you in our prayers. And (I know this is late) but CONGRATULATIONS on your marriage! Scott swears he told me you were getting married, but I'm pretty sure he is just covering his tracks.
Post a Comment